Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM,
V Star aftermarket exhaust.
I'm (in addition to helping a friend change brake pads) he's thinking about getting a new exhaust system that has more of a rumble and might add some performance.

What do you guys recommend that is the best bang for the buck?
09-07-2012, 11:11 AM,
RE: V Star aftermarket exhaust.
An after marketing exhaust system for your V Star will add a little bit of power. I'd also recommend a better intake system/air filter to maximize the power. You can get a little bit better fuel mileage, too, as long as you do not get on the throttle more-which is a problem for most people considering the fact that they like to hear their engine and like the new power. You *may* need to modify the carb settings, it just depends.

I personally have kept my bike as close to stock as possible as it is my preference, but I've got friends and have helped friends work on their own. A quick search on bing (I'm sure similar results would show up on google) yielded this:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=vs...&FORM=HURE

Best bet is to look at the reviews. I know Cobra makes good systems and is popular, so you might look into that brand first. Hope this helps.
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM,
(09-07-2012, 11:11 AM)LondonFlyer Wrote: An after marketing exhaust system for your V Star will add a little bit of power. I'd also recommend a better intake system/air filter to maximize the power. You can get a little bit better fuel mileage, too, as long as you do not get on the throttle more-which is a problem for most people considering the fact that they like to hear their engine and like the new power. You *may* need to modify the carb settings, it just depends.

I personally have kept my bike as close to stock as possible as it is my preference, but I've got friends and have helped friends work on their own. A quick search on bing (I'm sure similar results would show up on google) yielded this:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search? i like the look of cobra slash cuts.q=vstar+exhaust+systems&qpvt=vstar+exhaust+systems&FORM=HURE

Best bet is to look at the reviews. I know Cobra makes good systems and is popular, so you might look into that brand first. Hope this helps.
live life full throttle....2008 vstar custom.
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM,
How much more power do you think adding a nice aftermarket exhaust will add? Any specific #'s? just curious.
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM,
Re: RE: V Star aftermarket exhaust.
(09-09-2012, 08:53 PM)GusG Wrote: How much more power do you think adding a nice aftermarket exhaust will add? Any specific #'s? just curious.

I couldn't quote you actual torque or HP gain, but I don't think that matters. If I said you could gain as much as 20 HP what does that mean to you, not much I suspect, I do not know what 20hp is either, other than a peak power figure. The point of upgrading intake and exhaust is a more linea or consistent power delivery or "Torque curve". Providing better acceleration at all speeds. Power or horsepower is talked about in terms of peak HP. When you read a bike has 100hp that is at one particular point in the rev range. More important is toque or power delivery, it is a bit of a technical issue, that is hard to understand and hard to explain, at least for me. Having said all that my 1100 has had some baffels removed from the exhaust and a Barron's big air kit installed and produces a little under 55 HP, see I told you numbers are really not important, laughably I can't remember the peak torque figure, I'll look it up, even post my graph, if you like. Point is, it is about producing a nice fat curve. But if you want numbers I would suggest you might get maybe 5 HP gain with inlet and exhaust upgrade. Both would be required to achieve this and I think that would be an optimistic figure. But with the exhaust you get a cool sounding bike,. I would say this though be wary of really loud pipes, it becomes really tiring to ride any real distance, with a headache.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-10-2012, 12:04 PM,
Very good post jmck. Peak horse power and torque only will happen at a certain RPM in the powerband like jmck said. But an intake and exhaust will let the engine breathe easier which will make a fatter powerband overall. I just googled a Dyno sheet. As you can see the highest horsepower and torque only happen at a certain point.

http://96silverz.cz28.com/images/622rwhpDynoSheet.jpg

And this is also a car that has 600+ horse power. If your bike had that...well, let's just say I have a friend who had a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa with (I'm not kidding) 320 horse power. He ran the quarter mile in 9.5 with 240hp, and sold it when it got to 320 because it scared him so much.

So, don't worry about the complete horse power gain as much as the fatter power band meaning you'll get more torque and horse power at a lower RPM. Also, keep in mind how loud this can make your bike.
09-11-2012, 01:35 AM,
(09-09-2012, 08:53 PM)GusG Wrote: How much more power do you think adding a nice aftermarket exhaust will add? Any specific #'s? just curious.

To add to my last reply my Dyno charts is attached, I noticed that they even list ambient temperature and humidity, these also effect performance, as well as the age of the bike as a bike ages or wears it looses power as tolerance increase. i believe that if you are really serious like say a racer even different oil has an effect, one will create a different drag coefficient than another.
my Dyno chart: the light blue line is torque it is fairly constant up to about 4250rpm. so between 2750-3750 rpm is where my bike makes the most "power" peaking at 59.65. The dark blue line is HP the peak is at about 5750rpm, although I don't have a taco I don't need one to know I would very rarely run at that kinda of RPM.
My bike will beat any street car of the lights, (there are plenty of bikes that will s*#t all over me), so as you can see Torque is where it is at, and even then it is the 'fatness' and consistency of the curve that counts not the numbers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
09-17-2012, 11:45 PM,
Thanks for the response. Makes sense. Are there any particular brands you guys would stay away from?
09-18-2012, 08:10 PM,
As always, take your time and read the reviews. Cobra are popular and is one brand, but I'm sure some others can chime in.
10-12-2012, 09:43 PM,
I realize this is an old thread, but does drilling out stock pipes really make much difference?
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM,
Nope, not going to make a lot of difference, really.
10-17-2012, 01:15 AM,
Unbolt them mufflers from the head pipes and add straight sections of steel tubing for drag style pipes. Its what i did, theyre streetable and they help when WOT red light racing
LoLrcycle rider Cool
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM,
Here is a link to a chart of mod's and avg. HP gain

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...omparisons
08-01-2014, 12:34 AM,
I bought my 2001 v star 1100 used, with Cobra pipes on it. I really want to get a big air kit or DIY pod kit.
Question is, how do I know if the previous owner put different jets in when the pipes were changed (or did it not need different jets with different exhaust)?
Secondly, if I get a big air kit or hypercharger (that include jets), are they meant for the kit with stock exhaust? Do I need jets that are matched to both the exhaust and air kit?
Thanks,
Jim
08-01-2014, 02:58 AM,
maybe he changed them...only way to know is to open up the carbs and look...
second. #^$% a hypercharger...they look cool but dont really do much...Pods are the way to go, then its a matter of research to find the right size jets/needle setting for the combination you have. More air (pods) means you need more fuel in the mix...bigger jets and/or "higher" needle setting. the exhaust shouldnt affect it much, just the backpressure is affected. A better mind than mine should be able to get into more detail. I saw a chart somewhere...could have been the KB
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket pipes - recommendations? Yamahopper 6 1,634 04-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Yamahopper
  Exhaust issue: home made aftermarket (gasket problem?) RambleOn 1 639 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Wrapping Exhaust pipes 2009 Road Star 1700 Kimsnot 29 4,620 01-26-2015, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  question about v star 950 exhaust fusion 8 5,727 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Jquinn