Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-20-2016, 08:58 PM,
Check engine light came on!
Hello, Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been here in a while I've been busy doing what we should all been doing I've been out riding daily about 1-2hrs daily after work and even longer on days off between getting things checked off on the "honey do list" anyway I was happily cruising along today at 120km/h (75MPH for our friends south of the border) and for no apparent reason "check engine" light came on no change in engine pitch or performance is it telling me my service is due like a 4 wheel vehicle does (lost my maintenance record book) or should I be looking deeper?
06-20-2016, 10:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM by Fitzy151.)
RE: Check engine light came on!
Not sure if all 950s have it but the 2015s have a self diagnostic test. I know the owners manual has instructions but you can also look them up on yamahas Web site
06-20-2016, 11:11 PM,
how do I get the codes?
06-20-2016, 11:13 PM,
Not sure. I'm at work now I'll look it up and get back with you.
06-20-2016, 11:27 PM,
(06-20-2016, 11:13 PM)Fitzy151 Wrote: Not sure. I'm at work now I'll look it up and get back with you.
I figured out how to get the code! I got code 24!
06-20-2016, 11:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2016, 02:32 AM by Fitzy151.)
A couple other forums are saying 24 is the o2 sensor
06-26-2016, 11:47 PM,
So I tried cleaning the O2 sensor with citrol (a very strong citrus based cleaner used in the oilfield) and I'm still getting the check engine light and code 24 wiring looks good all connections tight any other suggestions? will I hurt anything continuing to ride other than tree hugger feelings?
06-27-2016, 07:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 08:06 AM by pauli466.)
(06-26-2016, 11:47 PM)09950ccVStar Wrote: So I tried cleaning the O2 sensor with citrol (a very strong citrus based cleaner used in the oilfield) and I'm still getting the check engine light and code 24 wiring looks good all connections tight any other suggestions? will I hurt anything continuing to ride other than tree hugger feelings?
how many wires on the sensor is it an upstream or downstream o2 sensor. downstream only monitors the efficiency of the converter upstream tells the ecm what air/fuel ratio is needed, which is necessary because of different altitudes and throttle positions, most times its just the heater element in the o2 sensor that goes bad which allows the sensor to still work after the exhaust heats it up it just takes a little longer to start working. but there's no way to tell which part of sensor failed, the heater or the actual sensing part
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
06-27-2016, 08:38 PM,
(06-27-2016, 07:45 AM)pauli466 Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 11:47 PM)09950ccVStar Wrote: So I tried cleaning the O2 sensor with citrol (a very strong citrus based cleaner used in the oilfield) and I'm still getting the check engine light and code 24 wiring looks good all connections tight any other suggestions? will I hurt anything continuing to ride other than tree hugger feelings?
how many wires on the sensor is it an upstream or downstream o2 sensor. downstream only monitors the efficiency of the converter upstream tells the ecm what air/fuel ratio is needed, which is necessary because of different altitudes and throttle positions, most times its just the heater element in the o2 sensor that goes bad which allows the sensor to still work after the exhaust heats it up it just takes a little longer to start working. but there's no way to tell which part of sensor failed, the heater or the actual sensing part
The O2 sensor in question is a 4-wire (2-white, 1-black, 1-grey)!
If they both have a heater element I can rule that out because I went for a 150km (93mi) ride today the ambient air temperature 24C (75F) with the check engine light on thinking it was the element and the check engine stayed on with the code 24. Anyway another situation with the same bike (which I believe may be contributing to the 02 sensor issue) I installed a "Rush performance slip-on muffler" and a "Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor - Standard - Closed Loop - 92-1775CL" before I installed these products I was getting and avg of 320km (198mi) before my fuel light would come on after filling up and now I'm averaging 240km (149mi) per fill up setting the module as per the instructions and I can smell un-burnt fuel when the bike is idling and after I ride there's an oily residue on the back of the bike and as I've read here the purpose of the module is to increase the fuel enough so the valves don't get burned and a symptom of being too lean is backfiring yet no matter what setting I put the adjustments to ranging from "000" to "999" there is no back firing and no noticeable change in engine performance and I haven't as of yet experimented enough to have any other info at this time! Ok I understand a bike is a toy and its not about fuel economy to me its about range I would like to be able to fine tune it to the point where I'm at least not having raw fuel coming out my pipe lol! please advise
06-27-2016, 11:55 PM,
(06-27-2016, 08:38 PM)09950ccVStar Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 07:45 AM)pauli466 Wrote:
The O2 sensor in question is a 4-wire (2-white, 1-black, 1-grey)!
If they both have a heater element I can rule that out because I went for a 150km (93mi) ride today the ambient air temperature 24C (75F) with the check engine light on thinking it was the element and the check engine stayed on with the code 24. Anyway another situation with the same bike (which I believe may be contributing to the 02 sensor issue) I installed a "Rush performance slip-on muffler" and a "Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor - Standard - Closed Loop - 92-1775CL" before I installed these products I was getting and avg of 320km (198mi) before my fuel light would come on after filling up and now I'm averaging 240km (149mi) per fill up setting the module as per the instructions and I can smell un-burnt fuel when the bike is idling and after I ride there's an oily residue on the back of the bike and as I've read here the purpose of the module is to increase the fuel enough so the valves don't get burned and a symptom of being too lean is backfiring yet no matter what setting I put the adjustments to ranging from "000" to "999" there is no back firing and no noticeable change in engine performance and I haven't as of yet experimented enough to have any other info at this time! Ok I understand a bike is a toy and its not about fuel economy to me its about range I would like to be able to fine tune it to the point where I'm at least not having raw fuel coming out my pipe lol! please advise
Ok update! just went out to turn my key on to turn the bike a round and put it in the garage and now the engine light is out with no code! So WTF? I'm confused lol!
06-28-2016, 08:16 AM,
Check engine light came on!
I haven't been in for a bit either just saw your post.

I had an 09 950 and had same issue. i checked everything under the sun except for oil level because i had just changed it within a few hundred miles. I literally checked everything i even drained the tank and started with fresh clean fuel. I decided to just suck it up and drain oil again. changed filter and oil confirmed that i put exact amount manual says too also ran sea foam thru with a full tank of fuel and didn't have the problem again.

just my 0.02 worth.

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
06-29-2016, 08:52 PM,
(06-28-2016, 08:16 AM)Kimsnot Wrote: I haven't been in for a bit either just saw your post.

I had an 09 950 and had same issue. i checked everything under the sun except for oil level because i had just changed it within a few hundred miles. I literally checked everything i even drained the tank and started with fresh clean fuel. I decided to just suck it up and drain oil again. changed filter and oil confirmed that i put exact amount manual says too also ran sea foam thru with a full tank of fuel and didn't have the problem again.

just my 0.02 worth.

I am going to do a service this weekend and afterwards i will do the sea foam treatment thx! I am still struggling with the settings for the fuel module!

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
11-27-2016, 04:00 PM,
I unplugged my O2 on both my Bolt and VStar. Engine runs cooler and smoother with more power since it now runs slightly richer. I do not ride in California Wink

No code is thrown. You might want to give it a go. It's a simple snap connector.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vstar 950 Engine Removal -How to >> Maustarman 0 686 03-02-2017, 03:59 AM
Last Post: Maustarman
  Brake light addition shwanky1 2 1,316 12-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Last Post: fichtelt