Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-27-2016, 05:17 PM,
Saddlebag build started
I went shopping for new saddlebags for my V-Star and couldn't find "the ones". Hey I know, build what you want! Looking for white leather that match the contour of the rear fender. The only thing I've ever sewn are a few buttons on shirts, and one jacket, so what could go wrong?? I did build a lamp in high school but when you pull the trunk, the light was supposed to come on, and mine ... well ... didn't turn on

I figured a good weekend worth of work and a budget of $250. My typical home project ... 1 day in, hotter than balls, nowhere near done and hovering around $350 so far. Typical

I'll post pictures as it comes together. I figure this way I'm accountable on some sort of timeframe.

All advice and or critiques are welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-28-2016, 08:28 AM,
Saddlebag build started
can't wait to see how they turn out.

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700
06-28-2016, 05:37 PM,
RE: Saddlebag build started
that's awesome, can't wait to see how they come out!
06-29-2016, 12:29 PM,
RE: Saddlebag build started
Kind of quiet in Santa's workshop the past couple days. I hate it when work gets in the way!

Here's the "3D template", both main mounts with a shoe box in between connected with gaffe tape (classy). I'm going to use this to mold the Fosshape stiffener stuff. It's not getting quite as stiff as I was hoping so there will be more ABS plastic on the floors. Turns out Wal-Mart has a cutting board that is just about the right size (classy part 2). Hopefully it will bend a little with my heat gun on high. Next, I'll cut and sew the leather to fit the template. My fingers are really looking forward to that process!

Here's the mount I am fabricating to. Pretty beefy with good shock absorption.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saddlebag extensions for a definite *Bagger look! Maustarman 5 1,299 09-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Frankenbiker
  Saddlebag guards, cheaper option them OEM? walker 1 734 05-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Keith
  1300 Deluxe Saddlebag Guards Montero1 5 2,168 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Keith