Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-11-2016, 11:44 AM,
Key won't turn in ignition (first post!!!)
Hey everyone, first post on the forum!

Picked up a 2000 V-Star 650 this weekend. I have zero experience riding motorcycles (plan on taking the Harley class next weekend) so ANY and ALL advice is welcome and needed!

I can't get the key to turn in the ignition. Is there something you need to do to get it to turn? Like in a car you have to press the clutch/brake depending on the vehicle to get the car to crank.

I watched the previous owner crank it so I know it's the right key, plus I was able to get it to turn once but I'm not sure how, it didn't work again after that.
Also, it idles with the choke on or off, but when you really rev it, the engine dies. Any initial maintenance that needs to be done to get it to run smoothly?

Thanks!
07-11-2016, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2016, 02:20 PM by Kimura.)
RE: Key won't turn in ignition (first post!!!)
@ejbrut Welcome to the forum. The key won't turn at all, or it won't start when you turn it? How many miles on it?

Here's a few things to consider; First your ignition should have three positions, Lock, Off, and On. If the key is in the lock position, the key needs to be pushed in slightly farther to disengage before it can be turned. At the same time you might need to wiggle your handlebar some. 2nd, these bikes are designed to kill the engine when the kickstand is put down while the bike is in gear. I would recommend putting the bike in neutral to start, but you could also lift the kickstand and pull in the clutch when starting in gear. And 3rd, and I'm just throwin this in to cover the base, with your key in the On position, you need to press the starter button. It's located on the right handlebar under the red kill switch. I hope these can solve your problem.
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
07-11-2016, 02:29 PM,
(07-11-2016, 01:56 PM)Kimura Wrote: @ejbrut Welcome to the forum. The key won't turn at all, or it won't start when you turn it? How many miles on it?

Here's a few things to consider; First your ignition should have three positions, Lock, Off, and On. If the key is in the lock position, the key needs to be pushed in slightly farther to disengage before it can be turned. At the same time you might need to wiggle your handlebar some. 2nd, these bikes are designed to kill the engine when the kickstand is put down while the bike is in gear. I would recommend putting the bike in neutral to start, but you could also lift the kickstand and pull in the clutch when starting in gear. And 3rd, and I'm just throwin this in to cover the base, with your key in the On position, you need to press the starter button. It's located on the right handlebar under the red kill switch. I hope these can solve your problem.
@Kimura thanks for the reply! The key will not turn at all. Feels like you're going to break the key off in the ignition. I will try the kickstand trick, although it was in neutral. The one time I was able to turn the key (no idea how I got it to) it started right up and idled smoothly. Stalls when you rev it though.
07-11-2016, 03:12 PM,
(07-11-2016, 11:44 AM)ejbrut Wrote: Also, it idles with the choke on or off, but when you really rev it, the engine dies. Any initial maintenance that needs to be done to get it to run smoothly?
The choke is used to start when cold. It doesn't need to be used every time or at all times. If my bike won't start right up I'll use half choke to start, slowly back it off, then let the bike warm up without it. If your bike has been running a lot with the choke on, it could have fouled your spark plugs, which could also be why it won't start.

As far as general maintenance; Make sure all your lights work, hi/low beam, turn signals, brake light, etc. Check your brakes and tire pressure. And check that your air cleaner is in good working order. It also wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter, as well as the gear oil for the shaft drive. I also like to sync the carbs with oil changes. And get rid of the AIS. Angel
07-11-2016, 09:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2016, 09:59 PM by huntpro13.)
Key won't turn in ignition (first post!!!)
Sounds like the key is turned to fork lock position. Jiggle the bars while turning the key. By "jiggle", I mean "move so the forks move". It's an anti-theft feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and you have to push the key in as you turn...

[Image: 04cfc0e388f79b532d47b0a322fb6de0.png]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-12-2016, 11:53 PM,
I can make you a video if it still won't start

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
07-13-2016, 02:23 PM,
@ejbrut Any luck?
02-26-2017, 10:10 PM,
I had that problem with my bike once.
It came with three keys, the factory key has a black coating on it.
I noticed that if I put the key in upside down it would not turn in the switch, it felt like it was locked.
I took the key out flipped it over and it worked then.
03-05-2017, 10:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017, 10:47 PM by pauli466.)
clean the key on a wire wheel or use steel wool to polish it, if the very first notch at the turning end feels sharp file it slightly, look very closely at the teeth the top teeth should match the bottom teeth, sometimes a tiny bit of filing is all it takes to get it working, on mine to get it off lock i have to push all the way in, to turn it for ignition i have push super lightly to turn it, if i don't give it that tiny push it will not turn at all to ignition
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - Valve cover thread - what tap to use mwittmer 2 276 11-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Starter turns but doesn't turn flywheel? broham 2 1,324 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: gteza
  Starter spins but doesn't turn over the engine RichardR 17 14,707 04-12-2015, 04:01 AM
Last Post: RenoRider33
  vstar ignition/starter issues Angelisdarker 2 1,563 05-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Angelisdarker