Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-11-2016, 12:16 PM,
Flywheel from hell
I recently acquired a used beautiful 2002 Vstar Classic with tons of accessories. Cobra exhaust and foot boards, Kuryakyn Hypercharger air cleaner, and a few other goodies. Now for the bad part. The person I got it from also gave the starter clutch kit that needed to be installed. He had it apart already and I inspected everything and nothing seemed to be damaged. As I was attempting to take off the 127lb flywheel nut I ran into a lot of problems. And that is where it all started. First off I am not a small man to say the least, standing at 6'3" and weighing in at 250lbs I was unable to remove the nut. I used impacts to no avail. It finally came off after I heated it with a torch. I only came free because I was able to lock the crank in place and stand on a 2 foot breaker bar. After some gentle jumping up and down it broke free. Yah. I decided that I was in for a battle and little did I know. When it comes to the flywheel I broke 6 grade 12.9 bolts, 3 sockets, 2 1/2 to 3/8 adapters, one breaker bar, 3 grade 8 bolts had the head pulled straight off, bent the 3/4 inch puller bolt center bolt, and the retaining hole on the block. That is not the worst part of it. The end of the crank shaft split 3 ways. And the stupid flywheel still did not come off. I tried everything I have ever tried and still it did not come off. After putting maybe 20 hours into trying to save the hell spawn flywheel I finally gave up and proceeded to use a drill and cut a line into it to relieve tension on the crankshaft. I completely destroyed it. Here is were I am now, I need a flywheel and the only one that I can afford is one from a 99 vstar. Everywhere I turn the 99 has a different part number. but 2000 to 2009 all used the there own part number that superseeded to one part number. The 99 stands alone even though it superseeded. I am going to be drilling the inside of the crank out and threading it to put the retaining bolt in. Any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter turns but doesn't turn flywheel? broham 2 594 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: gteza