Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-25-2016, 02:18 PM,
Idles but dies at half throttle
Just purchased a 2000 v star 650 and I'm having a problem. The bike will idle fine with the choke on and off, but when you give it throttle it dies at a fourth to half twist. We cleaned the carbs while still on the bike, cleared the jets, and added seafoam to the gas. Is it possible too much seafoam can make it not run? Should I just drain the gas and start with a clean tank?
The one way mine differs from others with this problem is that the air filter cover is not fitting tightly due to one of the screws being stripped. Could this be a significant contributor?
First bike, needing all the advice I can get, thanks!
07-25-2016, 07:07 PM,
RE: Idles but dies at half throttle
It sounds like you're running lean. The loose air filter could be part of it, if it's causing your air filter itself to fit loose, but even then I'm doubtful that would be the culprit. Check your spark plugs, see if they look ashy and gray. They may need to be replaced. I would also sync the carbs. If the carbs are off it can cause the bike to run... weird. I did a write up on synching the carbs on an 1100. It should give you an idea on the 650 too.
http://www.vstarforum.com/Carb-Sync-Easi...4#pid17934
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
07-25-2016, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM by pauli466.)
RE: Idles but dies at half throttle
(07-25-2016, 02:18 PM)ejbrut Wrote: Just purchased a 2000 v star 650 and I'm having a problem. The bike will idle fine with the choke on and off, but when you give it throttle it dies at a fourth to half twist. We cleaned the carbs while still on the bike, cleared the jets, and added seafoam to the gas. Is it possible too much seafoam can make it not run? Should I just drain the gas and start with a clean tank?
The one way mine differs from others with this problem is that the air filter cover is not fitting tightly due to one of the screws being stripped. Could this be a significant contributor?
First bike, needing all the advice I can get, thanks!
all the air ducts must be tight and the filter installed, when everything is tight with no leaks it kinda choke's the engine so there is more suction at the manifolds, the choke on the 650 only dumps extra fuel it doesn't choke off any air, so the engine needs the restriction of the air filter and all the ducts to create enough vacuum to run, if the air system is in good order then the the pilot jets are plugged, i'll bet if you partially block the inlet hole on the back of the air cleaner with duct tape it will run because you would choke off the air supply creating a very high vacuum to pull the fuel into the engine. it's and old trick that will get you home when jets gum up on the road, but you need to crack the choke slightly to avoid running lean
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Its My Birthday! THROTTLE CABLE GUIDE INSTALLATION yamahabrown 0 515 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: yamahabrown
  Throttle Question RVGiancarlo 1 531 07-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Last Post: OldePhart
  650 engine dies after depress clutch and shifting VStar King 9 3,875 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Last Post: jmck