Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-13-2016, 10:47 PM,
First bike, needing some help
Ok guys, Im new to motorcycles. I dont know a whole lot about them, so bear with me a little bit. I bought a 2000 yamaha v star 1100 custom from a friend. I only paid $400 for it runs like a top. the only issue when i bought it was that it wouldnt go into any gear. Stuck in neutral basically. it got that way when he stopped driving it. He said it was hard to shift and the shifter would get stuck to the point that he had to physically reach down to bring the shifter back up. He was riding one day and he stopped at a light and it got stuck he reached down at a stop light to bring it back up but then wouldnt go back in any gear after that. he had it towed to his house and thats it. 3 months later i now have it. same deal stuck in neutral no response from the shifter at all no response from the clutch at all either, but will still fire up and run like a top. I got it Thursday today is Saturday this is where it gets tricky. I got home from work today ( I start it everyday to keep the battery charged and the fluids flowing) low and behold i try to start it and all of a sudden the bike is in gear 1st or 2nd it jumped on me when i tried to start it. So i get excited and i start adjusting the clutch now i have clutch response as well. Now the issue is I have no other gears except for the one that it is in. any suggestions as to what is causing this?
08-14-2016, 07:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2016, 07:33 AM by nick59.)
RE: First bike, needing some help
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...m-shifting well might this be the problem https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...st-do-list starting it every day drains the battery you have to get the rpms up to chafge the battery. its best to leave it alone or put it on a battery tender.read the section on how to start the bike it could save you some money.
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
08-14-2016, 09:27 PM,
Thanks for your reply Nick. Can you tell me in reference to the bike where this is located? i.e. right or left side of bike? Thanks
08-14-2016, 09:46 PM,
sorry, i don't know what you are asking
08-14-2016, 09:52 PM,
The link you posted about the shift screw coming loose. where would i find the screw on the bike? It seems like it is in the area where i would adjust the clutch on the low side behind the cover. is that correct?
08-14-2016, 10:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM by nick59.)
i only skimmed thru it. the left side the bolt is connected to the shifter.i beleive its just a matter of taking everything apart appling locktite to the bolt and putting everything back together.

(08-14-2016, 10:01 PM)nick59 Wrote: i only skimmed thru it. the left side the bolt is connected to the shifter.i beleive its just a matter of taking everything apart appling locktite to the bolt and putting everything back together.
can you move the shifter, maybe it only needs grease
08-14-2016, 10:22 PM,
Ok I see now. I dont know why that didnt want to compute in my brain lol. Yes, the shifter does move back and forth. It just doesnt grab a gear. Im almost certain that this is whats wrong with my bike. My fingers are crossed. I talked to the guy that was riding it when it broke down on him. He said it was popping out of first when he tried to shift it to 2nd gear. He stopped to check it out and it wouldnt do anything when he tried to leave again. Thanks for the info. I will post the outcome of my inspection when i get a chance to check it later this week. Thanks again.
08-20-2016, 11:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2016, 11:15 AM by Jason King1.)
Well I was able to get in there and tear it apart yesterday. Great news is it was the shift screw had broken in half. So I had to use a easy out to remove it, but had no issues in doing so.

Thanks to nick59 for posting the information.
08-20-2016, 12:44 PM,
(08-20-2016, 11:14 AM)Jason King1 Wrote: Well I was able to get in there and tear it apart yesterday. Great news is it was the shift screw had broken in half. So I had to use a easy out to remove it, but had no issues in doing so.

Thanks to nick59 for posting the information.
the link i provided, it has everything about the 1100. be sure to read the first section on things to do especially the proper starting technique
08-20-2016, 06:30 PM,
yeah, that little screw is a big issue on the 1100s happened to me too years ago, couldn't get past 2nd and was 15 miles from home so was a game of rev up good then in with the clutch and coast, then next day off to the shop as had no idea and no forum at the time for help.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-21-2016, 10:10 PM,
Yea, these forums sure do help a lot. I rode today just around the neighborhood after reading the safety manual and the owners manual. My first time ever on a bike, I put about 10 miles in this evening and loved it. Gotta go get that permit now.