Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-25-2016, 05:58 PM,
Is it the bike or just me?
Hi, guys. New here. Just thought I would ask some experts on the subject of motorcycle handling and such. A little background.

I inherited a 2001 V-Star 1100 from my uncle who passed away in 2012. I don't ride it much other than a couple of times a year to the gas station. I've ridden bikes on and off most of my life but haven't ridden much since I got married in 2003. Previously the biggest bike I had ridden was a Honda 750 (I worked my way up from a Trail 90).

My issue is that this bike (or myself) gets real sketchy at about 50+ mph and I simply can't relax and just cruise with the flow of traffic. I live out in the country and I get passed on the 2 lane by just about everything with a motor. I used to ride an RD350 when I was a teenager and got all kinds of speeding tickets back in the 80's. Now I'm 51 and I'm wondering if it is just me or is the bike not handling like it should. The tires are kinda worn and cracking and the front shocks are leaking but not bottomed out. The bike doesn't feel too powerful or anything, but just a bit rattly and boat-like.

I'd like to ride it more but I get wigged out and just can't relax when getting passed up by Kia Rios and motorhomes towing boats.

Any suggestions? Go ahead, let me have it!
08-25-2016, 06:15 PM,
RE: Is it the bike or just me?
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...st-do-list since the bike is new to you. you should learn the proper way to start so as to avoid a costly repair to starter clutch.the bike probably needs some tlc, mine will cruise comfortably to 75.
2007 1100 custom,cobra longs and pods,doubled clutch spring.
08-28-2016, 12:26 AM,
new tires for sure, cracked tires not a good sign, carb jets could be a bit fouled from not being ridden enough as gas could be going bad, so some sea foam treatment in the tank to help clean it out too. yep need to redo the front shocks too that will help with the handling as well as fresh tires.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

09-12-2016, 05:45 PM,
(08-25-2016, 05:58 PM)hoodyup Wrote: Hi, guys. New here. Just thought I would ask some experts on the subject of motorcycle handling and such. A little background.

I inherited a 2001 V-Star 1100 from my uncle who passed away in 2012. I don't ride it much other than a couple of times a year to the gas station. I've ridden bikes on and off most of my life but haven't ridden much since I got married in 2003. Previously the biggest bike I had ridden was a Honda 750 (I worked my way up from a Trail 90).

My issue is that this bike (or myself) gets real sketchy at about 50+ mph and I simply can't relax and just cruise with the flow of traffic. I live out in the country and I get passed on the 2 lane by just about everything with a motor. I used to ride an RD350 when I was a teenager and got all kinds of speeding tickets back in the 80's. Now I'm 51 and I'm wondering if it is just me or is the bike not handling like it should. The tires are kinda worn and cracking and the front shocks are leaking but not bottomed out. The bike doesn't feel too powerful or anything, but just a bit rattly and boat-like.

I'd like to ride it more but I get wigged out and just can't relax when getting passed up by Kia Rios and motorhomes towing boats.

Any suggestions? Go ahead, let me have it!
Also in my fifties & just bought a 1300 '09 vstar, but back in the day I rode an RD 350 (only brand new bike I've ever owned:).

Night & day, bro!

One's handling & acceleration vs. torque & stability. The 'Star definitely doesn't handle the way the RD does.

Have to echo the others here, too: bad rubber will give you a bad feeling, lack of confidence, stability, etc... Definitely want to put new tires on & give it a try.

andy
05-23-2017, 08:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017, 08:48 AM by lazaras.)
When I first got my 07 1100 Silverado, it took me a little while to get use to it. I had problems going around curves, because it will not lean like other bikes I have had. Mine will cruise 90+ on the interstate, if the wind isn't blowing to hard. If it is windy I can only cruise around 70+/-. I still have to slow way down around curves, because my floor board will scrape. But I love my 1100, it is the best riding bike I have ever had, not the fastest though. I had a 650 special, 750 four, GS 850L and a few enduros that would leave my 1100 sitting still.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05-23-2017, 08:50 AM,
(05-23-2017, 08:34 AM)lazaras Wrote: When I first got my 07 1100 Silverado, it took me a little while to get use to it. I had problems going around curves, because it will not lean like other bikes I have had. Mine will cruise 90+ on the interstate, if the wind isn't blowing to hard. If it is windy I can only cruise around 70+/-. I still have to slow way down around curves, because my floor board will scrape. But I love my 1100, it is the best riding bike I have ever had, not the fastest though. I had a 650 special, 750 four, GS 850L and a few enduros that would leave my 1100 sitting still.
05-23-2017, 07:51 PM,
loosen up and stop trying to steer the motorcycle, push your left hand out and down to go left and right hand out and down to go right and stop looking where the bike is going and just focus where you WANT it to go if you feel your going too wide just push harder and remember when a bike is leaned over just as much rubber is contacting the pavement as when it is standing up as long as your not braking or accelerating really hard you'll scrape pegs or boards before the bike even comes close to sliding out, the bike always follows your eyes don't look directly at danger because you'll automatically steer right into it, target fixation kills a lot of riders
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
06-05-2017, 02:57 AM,
You need to spend more time riding and learning how to handle her. Of course you need to address first any possible issue on handling and running, especially tires.