Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 02:09 PM,
Lightbulb  LED Brake Light Upgrade
After almost being rear ended by someone last week due to them not seeing my stock brake light (even though I had my break pressed the whole time because I was watching them come up behind me) I decided to conduct an upgrade to it.

I ended up purchasing a plug & play LED brake upgrade which required no cutting/splicing and used the stock lens & bucket. The upgrade wasn't cheap ($90 plus shipping) but when it comes to safety/visibility in my opinion you should never skimp. The Yamaha LED Tail Light upgrade is sold by Custom Dynamics and can be looked at further on their web site at: http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

The installation was super simple and only took about four minutes to complete.

What I was hoping to accomplish by doing this upgrade was to get a considerably brighter brake light to make me more visible and this upgrade did just that!

Attached below are pictures of the stock & LED light for comparison which where taken in low light conditions about 3 feet away from the brake light unit and a picture of the upgrade unit itself.

I wanted to take before/after pictures of the brake lights reflective difference against a wall but forgot to do it. With that said though, I can safely report that the the brake lights visibility is much better when serving as the running light and that the brake applied light is just about six time brighter then stock brake light.

If your considering upgrading your brake light I would recommend checking one this upgrade.

For my next increased visibility mod/upgrade I'm going to be ordering a set of LED light from the same company.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-02-2016, 07:04 PM,
RE: LED Brake Light Upgrade
hah yep way to go bud, I am installing the turn signal item too from them so they work as additional lighting!
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

09-12-2016, 11:52 AM,
Thanks for the reply Keith.

I just bought me a new leather Jacket for the Fall/Winter upcoming seasons (I ride all year along although I ride the most when it's cooler).

My next purchase will be the Dynamic Rings turn signals ( http://www.customdynamics.com/yamaha_tur..._retro.htm ) to give me more light up front (I just have the stock headlight) and increase my visibility from the front as well.

After that it's the Stingerz® LED Accents lights (Cruiser Level 1 Package - http://www.customdynamics.com/stingerz_l...lights.htm ).

There is way too many cool things to do to our bikes and never enough time/money to do them...
09-13-2016, 07:38 PM,
looks like you are on a good path! want to put couple of strips of led on sides so see from side too! yeah bought a good leather myself bit big but to get long enough had to go to next size, was riding bit short on the torso but good leather and removable liner, I prefer longer like my tourmaster is, but the leather looks dressier so more appropriate for the uppity work place. I am looking at getting front light bar aftermarket and upgrade the bulbs in the headlight too.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

09-14-2016, 12:44 PM,
Thanks for the reply Keith.

I have a several page list of mod/improvements (single spaced) I want to do on my bike as time/money allows.

I am doing the mods/additions that increase my visibility first though as that is most important for safety IMO.

I will upgrade the headlight next after the turn signal and led lights upgrades and then add a highway bar/lights after that (which will take some time as it won't be cheap to do).

Like you did I purchased the next size up leather jacket (it will only be specifically used for riding). That it will allow me the option to wear more under the jacket if needed (our cold days are in the low 30's but that can be a bit chilly when your cruising over 60).

I'll probably make separate post for the turn signal & LED lights or either make a new thread (417's Mods/Upgrades) which I will add everything to as I complete upgrades/mods. That way other users can view the post and pictures to see if they would be interested in doing the same mod/upgrade to their v-star.
09-14-2016, 02:19 PM,
(09-02-2016, 07:04 PM)Keith Wrote: hah yep way to go bud, I am installing the turn signal item too from them so they work as additional lighting!
I went on the cheap. Purchased a Bulb from Superbright LED. Works great. Brighter than original and gives me the flash.

LED replacement bulbs with brake-flash technology are perfect for
vehicle tail lights and brake lights. This 1157 dual-contact,
dual-function bulb has 1 high-power LED (3-watt) with an integrated
reflector lens for a magnified 320° viewing angle. Brake light flashes 3
times once per minute and returns to steady lighting between intervals.
BAY15D 15-mm bayonet base for easy plug-and-play installation—just
twist to lock in place. The energy-efficient bulb operates within a wide
9-24V DC range and is designed to last 30,000 hours on your car, truck,
SUV, or van—25 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Red color. Not
sold in pairs.
[Image: 1157-x3w-color.jpg&w=300&zc=2]
2005 V Star Silverado
09-14-2016, 04:19 PM,
Thanks for the reply post with a cheaper alternative for a brake light upgrade/modification eruby (great find!).

I'm on the fence in regards to using the modulator to make the brake light flash or not myself. Not sure it is worth the extra $ for the effect nor that is makes that much difference in regards to visibility (it's more of an annoyance IMO).

Since using this $19 bulb and knowing it actually works for your bikes brake light it would definitely be the more economical route to go if you like/want the flashing feature (I'm not sure I would like this particular bulb myself due to the cycling of the flash every minute).

From the pictures they provide on the products information page it looks to be about 2-3X brighter than the standard bulb. Thus it's definitely a good mod/upgrade to purchase if you have to replace your standard brake light bulb.

Had I known about the bulb I might have bought one to try it out first. However, now that I've gotten used to the one I installed being way brighter I'm happy with it. I also kind of like the pattern the lights have when serving as a standard running light, as well.

I'll be letting my riding friends know about the bulb though, as they might want to use it.
09-14-2016, 06:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 06:28 PM by Keith.)
that's a similar bulb that I have to put in my back turn signals, has a projector then side illumination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331470243236?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  turned turn signals into LED brake light bill40311 41 10,383 10-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  DIY seat upgrade... OldePhart 19 5,563 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Clutch and Brake LEVERS GhostRider 9 2,150 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Elk
  Brake Flasher/Modulator Agspace 9 2,705 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Matt