Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-17-2016, 08:55 PM,
No spark
I have recently purchased a 2008 VXS650 for my girlfriend knowing that the CDI was probably stuffed. I purchased a secondhand CDI, ignition barrel and immobilizer from a wreckers in Sydney but it didnt come with the red key. I have connected all the new parts but bike still wont start. It turns over but there is no spark. I have been told that I require the red key to reset the immobilizer by some people and 3 different wreckers in Sydney have told me that you don't need it. The wrecker that I purchased parts from told me parts were off a running bike and all from the same bike. Could someone please help me. The bike mechanic where my bike is has apparently checked all of the other electrical parts and there all ok. Does anyone have some advice?
09-17-2016, 10:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2016, 10:52 PM by pauli466.)
RE: No spark
(09-17-2016, 08:55 PM)Hard1ash Wrote: I have recently purchased a 2008 VXS650 for my girlfriend knowing that the CDI was probably stuffed. I purchased a secondhand CDI, ignition barrel and immobilizer from a wreckers in Sydney but it didnt come with the red key. I have connected all the new parts but bike still wont start. It turns over but there is no spark. I have been told that I require the red key to reset the immobilizer by some people and 3 different wreckers in Sydney have told me that you don't need it. The wrecker that I purchased parts from told me parts were off a running bike and all from the same bike. Could someone please help me. The bike mechanic where my bike is has apparently checked all of the other electrical parts and there all ok. Does anyone have some advice?
the 650 doesn't use a capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) it uses a (TCI) transistor controlled ignition). i have never seen the control unit go bad (ECM) but the 650 is known for the pick coil to fail, the plug that needs to be tested for the pick up is under the tank near the rear ignition coil it's a two wire plug with both wires being white, ohms test it per the manual, if it test's bad, ask me and i can tell you how to change it out, only use an OEM replacement pick up coil. the aftermarket ones are cheap garbage and half the times the wire's are reversed at the plug, and you won't know it because they're both the same color, it's the only part that ever failed me on my 60,000 mile 2000 650 classic. i have tested some pickups and they will test good but once they warm up they test bad, if there is any doubt on the ohms test just change it out, on the 650 it's not a question of if it will fail, the question is when will it fail. don't believe that it tested good by someone else. test it yourself. it's very easy to do all you need is a multi tester, the coils red/black wire should have battery voltage the grey wire ( front coil) and orange wire (rear coil) are the triggers from the ECM, with the key on both red/black coil wires should have battery voltage if they don't you'll need to find out why. let me know if you get stuck, does your model have an immobilizer light? and is the key you have chipped? you said you got a used ECM, ignition barrel and the immobilizer what exactly is an immobilizer and why can't it just be eliminated, on mine the ignition feeds the relays that feed the ECM, is the immobilizer built into the ECM? if it is just get an ECM on ebay without it. i would start testing to see what is getting power and what isn't getting power, start at the coils red/black wires then go to the relays then go to the ECM to find out what the immobilizer is actually shutting off. if the immobilizer is inside the ECM i would open the ECM and jump it out of the system, if you show me a pic of the inside of the unit i can probably tell you how to do it because i know what the inside of the ECM look's like without the immobilizer.
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2005 V-Star 1100 no spark, only 1093 miles on bike RideRed0331 3 236 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Last Post: RideRed0331
  Strange Spark Signals indie_rocker 6 868 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker