Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-26-2016, 07:38 AM,
Change filter without draining pan? (VS250)
Hi --

Just did an oil change on my V-Star 250 and I'm getting a leak from the filter cover area -- not a gusher, but oil is weeping out of the bottom. I've tried tightening the bolts and they're about as tight as I can make them, so I'm going to need to go in again and see if I can figure out what I did wrong. (I changed the O-ring at the same time, but it's possible I didn't seat it properly; at least I'm hoping that's what the problem is.)

My question: Can I change the filter without draining the pan first (recognizing that some oil is going to come out when I open it up)? Or will the mess just not be worth it? I've read conflicting things online. I just did the oil change, there are no leaks around the drain plug, and I'd rather not drain the pan if I can avoid it. (I know that I would need to replenish the oil a bit for what comes out when the filter cover comes off.)

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide,
Stewart
09-28-2016, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2016, 01:18 PM by ahab.)
RE: Change filter without draining pan? (VS250)
(09-26-2016, 07:38 AM)ahab Wrote: Hi --

Just did an oil change on my V-Star 250 and I'm getting a leak from the filter cover area -- not a gusher, but oil is weeping out of the bottom. I've tried tightening the bolts and they're about as tight as I can make them, so I'm going to need to go in again and see if I can figure out what I did wrong. (I changed the O-ring at the same time, but it's possible I didn't seat it properly; at least I'm hoping that's what the problem is.)

My question: Can I change the filter without draining the pan first (recognizing that some oil is going to come out when I open it up)? Or will the mess just not be worth it? I've read conflicting things online. I just did the oil change, there are no leaks around the drain plug, and I'd rather not drain the pan if I can avoid it. (I know that I would need to replenish the oil a bit for what comes out when the filter cover comes off.)

Stewart
Don't know if this was just not a very good question, but FWIW I wanted to mention (if anyone else out there is wondering, too) that I went ahead and changed the filter without draining the oil, and didn't have any problem -- virtually no oil-spill-out at all, in fact, when the bike was on the side stand.

Cheers,
Stewart
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM,
RE: Change filter without draining pan? (VS250)
(09-26-2016, 07:38 AM)ahab Wrote: Hi --

Stewart
hi first off, you most likely don't have a leaky o ring. I found on my 250 that oil gets trapped on the filter cover on the outside of the o ring and if you don't clean the cover really well, then oil appears to be leaking. it will stop after a while. second, yes you can pull the cover without loosing a bunch of oil. leave the bike on the side stand. you may have to add a little oil after to replace what you may loose if you pull the filter
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil Leak. How to choose part to change? Mediator 0 51 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mediator
  Fork oil change RuggedNorth 0 458 02-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: RuggedNorth
  Easy Oil Filter removal on the V Star 1300 Edzhere 0 326 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Edzhere
  Do you change your oil filter every time? Kimsnot 22 5,788 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  What Oil filter do you use for a VStar 650? And where's the best place to buy it? khanx66 15 8,960 03-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Last Post: indie_rocker
  Barons oil filter ? 70cutty 2 610 02-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Keith
  OIL CHANGE ERROR...I THINK?? avp12304 2 1,507 07-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  NEWBIE oil change Question vstar 1300 avp12304 15 5,999 01-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  Oil change with Cobra Exhaust. Bigjohn_sc 2 1,310 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Last Post: country cracker
  How often do you change your oil? LondonFlyer 60 23,554 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Last Post: matty032