Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-28-2016, 07:05 PM,
650 clang or slap under load
Hi all, I have this years 650 custom model and thought I'd run this problem by you all before I return to the dealer for it's first service. It's now done 800km (Australia).
The problem is when I throttle on and crank it I get a clang or slapping type sound, never did before usually has purred along beautifully. When I'm up to speed, no problem. It's just under load in all gears. I've done the tapping everything for something loose but it seems to be engine noise. And somewhat in neutral too when I rev it up. Just started this halfway through my last ride, so had about an hour of this noise. Not to much drama as it's about to go in for service but I would like to know what I'm describing to my "trusty" dealer, if anyone has any ideas, I thank you. Will take all on board.
09-29-2016, 09:06 PM,
RE: 650 clang or slap under load
(09-28-2016, 07:05 PM)RangoStar Wrote: Hi all, I have this years 650 custom model and thought I'd run this problem by you all before I return to the dealer for it's first service. It's now done 800km (Australia).
The problem is when I throttle on and crank it I get a clang or slapping type sound, never did before usually has purred along beautifully. When I'm up to speed, no problem. It's just under load in all gears. I've done the tapping everything for something loose but it seems to be engine noise. And somewhat in neutral too when I rev it up. Just started this halfway through my last ride, so had about an hour of this noise. Not to much drama as it's about to go in for service but I would like to know what I'm describing to my "trusty" dealer, if anyone has any ideas, I thank you. Will take all on board.
that's kinda sounds like the noise when shaft splines start striping, but at 800km i kinda doubt it, is the 800km what you put on the bike or is it the overall mileage on it. it's very difficult to isolate noise while riding because the wind telegraphs the noise all over the place, my 5th gear noise sounded like it was under my fuel tank, i ended up putting in a whole new 5th gear set myself and i can say the 650 engine is very basic there is not a lot of moving parts that can fail inside the cases, try rocking the bike back and forth while in gear and listen for any backlash in the drive, from the rear drive to the middle drive is where i'd be listening
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very loud rattling/clanging when revving under no load joelmatt89 3 1,049 10-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Last Post: pauli466