Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 05:09 PM,
Pickup Coil Connector
My bike is down while I wait for a couple parts for the front fork. I decided to do some inspecting in the meantime and found the pickup coil connector wires getting ready to break loose (nearly half the strands were already broken on each wire). In the wiring diagram (clymer manual) it shows the pickup coil wires to be one white and one black with a blue line. This is true for the other connector that the pickup coil plugs into. BUT the pickup coil wires are both white. I pulled out the female spades from the connector to see if I could try and reuse them and make a fresh connection (I can't get the crimp undone so I'll need new ones). One wire broke quite easily. I did forget, however, to make note of which one goes to which side.

I'm assuming polarity is important here?

If I get it backwards, will I damage any electrical components or will it just not run properly?

How should I go about determining which wire is which since the color coding for this part of the circuit does not match the wiring diagram?

The engine has a slight miss here and there, mostly noticeable when you give any percentage of throttle. Not as noticeable at idle. Carb cleaning, tune-up (air filter/spark plugs), carb syncing, valve adjuments did not solve this issue. Could this be the source??

Can anyone identify this connector so I can find the proper spades? Going to bring it to an electronics parts store and see if they can help identify it.

Thanks! Photos below.

[Image: image1_zpszhwc5aac.jpg~original]

[Image: image2_zpsf1evkqs8.jpg~original]
Scott

2003 V-Star 650 Custom
10-04-2016, 06:38 PM,
RE: Pickup Coil Connector
(10-02-2016, 05:09 PM)TwoWheels Wrote: My bike is down while I wait for a couple parts for the front fork. I decided to do some inspecting in the meantime and found the pickup coil connector wires getting ready to break loose (nearly half the strands were already broken on each wire). In the wiring diagram (clymer manual) it shows the pickup coil wires to be one white and one black with a blue line. This is true for the other connector that the pickup coil plugs into. BUT the pickup coil wires are both white. I pulled out the female spades from the connector to see if I could try and reuse them and make a fresh connection (I can't get the crimp undone so I'll need new ones). One wire broke quite easily. I did forget, however, to make note of which one goes to which side.

I'm assuming polarity is important here?

If I get it backwards, will I damage any electrical components or will it just not run properly?

How should I go about determining which wire is which since the color coding for this part of the circuit does not match the wiring diagram?

The engine has a slight miss here and there, mostly noticeable when you give any percentage of throttle. Not as noticeable at idle. Carb cleaning, tune-up (air filter/spark plugs), carb syncing, valve adjuments did not solve this issue. Could this be the source??

Can anyone identify this connector so I can find the proper spades? Going to bring it to an electronics parts store and see if they can help identify it.

Thanks! Photos below.

[Image: image1_zpszhwc5aac.jpg~original]

[Image: image2_zpsf1evkqs8.jpg~original]
the pick up is the only thing that ever failed on my 650 in the 16 years i'v had her, no permanent harm will come from reversing the wires, but the engine will miss and pop like crazy in fact a lot of the cheap aftermarket pick up's come with the wires reversed new out of the box, it's kinda of a pain to change out the pick up so if your going to do it spend the 80 dollars for an oem one that's wired right and will last, the cheap aftermarket ones are just that, cheap and unpredictable. when mine went it didn't just die on the spot so i never got stranded, it started with a miss here and there and at the end the engine would only run on one cylinder when the pick up got hot so i rode like 5 or ten miles until it would only run on one cylinder then i let it cool down for ten minuets and go again until i got it home to replace it, you can reuse the engine side connectors by cutting the wires back then opening the terminals and re crimping or even soldering them, as long as terminal ends aren't melted or severely corroded i'd re use them because they have the locks on them that hold them in the plug
Lightbulb dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
10-06-2016, 05:53 PM,
RE: Pickup Coil Connector
Pauli466- Thanks for the info! This is really helpful. I found a pack of the contacts online for pretty cheap, so I'll replace them, and see if I've wired it right. Appreciate it!
Scott

2003 V-Star 650 Custom
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ignition coil/ spark plug cap Babunda 0 199 07-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Babunda
  2002 1100 pickup coil & stator scubacy 0 478 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Last Post: scubacy
  multiple pickup coils burned up sillybrian 7 1,672 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Last Post: pauli466