Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-22-2016, 07:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2016, 07:38 PM by Ronandjanet.)
2004 V-star XVS11AT won't stop trying to start
I am working on my son's bike and I have an very odd problem. I am on several forums for my Harley (yes I know but I love all bikes) and my boat and this is where all the information is. I find these forums very valuable. So below is my challenge and although long I tried to provide some history and information.
The bike was running fine and then sat for a year. When we tried to start it and the battery was bad. I got a new battery and tried to start the bike again. She turned over but did not catch. Then I realized I forgot the choke. Put the choke on and tried to start her. She almost started and I released the start button (don't like to have her crank too long) and she didn't stop cranking. I don't think I have ever had this happen on any vehicle. I had to disconnect the battery (negative) to her to stop. I let her sit for awhile and as soon as I touched the negative lead to the battery she starts to try to crank (no clutch pulled in and on the kick stand).
I was reading some on this and the starter relay is a weak spot. I thought Ok maybe it is shorted. I got a new one (which is different then the one in there now not happy about that) and I ordered a repair manual. OK so now I know where it is and have the tank up in the air and apparently this bike has had an issue here before because all the wires have been extended and connected with black wires to the relay connections (no connector any more). I marked them all with tape so I could troubleshoot. Keep in mind this was working. So with all the wires disconnected the main terminals are not shorted. So that tells me something is turning it on. I tried each of the 4 connector wires going to ground (wiring diagram in repair manual is not clear as to which wire is which) but none go one or off when I hot the start button. I have one that is always shorted to ground (one of the two red wires) regardless of the start switch.
So my are questions are these. Is one of the red wires the wire from the start switch and is that why it is trying to start, even if the Starter Relay cut off unit should not allow this? Maybe the problem is the Started Relay cut off unit but I would have thought that just stops the bike from starting. Which wire is that?
Anyone run across this before the Starter cut off seems to buried up front somewhere and I have not tried to get to that since she try's to start all the time.
Thanks in advance for your help!
10-23-2016, 09:10 PM,
RE: 2004 V-star XVS11AT won't stop trying to start
(10-22-2016, 07:36 PM)Ronandjanet Wrote: I am working on my son's bike and I have an very odd problem. I am on several forums for my Harley (yes I know but I love all bikes) and my boat and this is where all the information is. I find these forums very valuable. So below is my challenge and although long I tried to provide some history and information.
The bike was running fine and then sat for a year. When we tried to start it and the battery was bad. I got a new battery and tried to start the bike again. She turned over but did not catch. Then I realized I forgot the choke. Put the choke on and tried to start her. She almost started and I released the start button (don't like to have her crank too long) and she didn't stop cranking. I don't think I have ever had this happen on any vehicle. I had to disconnect the battery (negative) to her to stop. I let her sit for awhile and as soon as I touched the negative lead to the battery she starts to try to crank (no clutch pulled in and on the kick stand).
I was reading some on this and the starter relay is a weak spot. I thought Ok maybe it is shorted. I got a new one (which is different then the one in there now not happy about that) and I ordered a repair manual. OK so now I know where it is and have the tank up in the air and apparently this bike has had an issue here before because all the wires have been extended and connected with black wires to the relay connections (no connector any more). I marked them all with tape so I could troubleshoot. Keep in mind this was working. So with all the wires disconnected the main terminals are not shorted. So that tells me something is turning it on. I tried each of the 4 connector wires going to ground (wiring diagram in repair manual is not clear as to which wire is which) but none go one or off when I hot the start button. I have one that is always shorted to ground (one of the two red wires) regardless of the start switch.
So my are questions are these. Is one of the red wires the wire from the start switch and is that why it is trying to start, even if the Starter Relay cut off unit should not allow this? Maybe the problem is the Started Relay cut off unit but I would have thought that just stops the bike from starting. Which wire is that?
Anyone run across this before the Starter cut off seems to buried up front somewhere and I have not tried to get to that since she try's to start all the time.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Well I found out the old relay was stuck closed. I was able to that working. The new relay is completely different (square) while the one in the bike is round with only one fuse (I know the other one had a spare).
So now it does crank (turns over) but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump prime. I never hear it catch like it is almost starting. It is just turning over. This may be bad gas. I will check the fuel flow and maybe drain the gas and put in fresh next. Any suggestions on this issue?
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clicking when trying to start alecbrown1965 0 75 08-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: alecbrown1965
  Turn signal issues with 2004 V Star 1100 Bilzer 2 907 07-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Bike won't start.. sometimes. Starter 3 981 07-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ET_Geckoe
  A Good Preventative Procedure To Help Stop Electrical Problems. Gibbo 4 2,729 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM