Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-30-2016, 02:39 PM,
V Star 950 Muffler Rattle
Hey all,

New member here looking for advice from wiser (or perhaps crazier) minds.

I recently purchased an '09 v star 950 Tourer, and quite like the bike, except that it has an exhaust rattle. Warm or cold, when you rev the engine, it sounds good on the up rev, but as it revs down, it makes a rattling sound in the muffler that sounds a lot like a loose baffle. I like the quiet of the OEM muffler, so I'm not looking to just buy after market pipes, but the rattle is pretty irritating to my OCD.

Took it to the local bike shop and had a mechanic listen to it, and he said "that's how these ones sound" and, sure enough, when I went on YouTube and watched a dozen before/after videos of guys trading their OEM pipes for after market pipes, sure enough, the rattle as the bike revs down is "normal". If anybody out there has a 950 V Star with OEM mufflers, you know exactly the sound that I mean.

So here's the thing. I don't want after market pipes because I'm not really a fan of the Harley-esque "braaap", but there has to be a way to modify this muffler to stop that rattle. Have looked at a bunch of forums about drilling out the baffles, but that basically takes us back to the louder pipes issue.

A gearhead buddy of mine suggested pulling the baffles out of it and glass-wrapping them, and then shoving them back in. I know you can pull a screw in a 650 V Star OEM muffler and pull out the baffles, but I don't think it's possible for the 950 muffler.

Any theories or experience out there as to how to make this bike sound like a bike should, and less like a sick camel as it's revving down?

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Mike