Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-18-2017, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM by Kontroll.)
03 650 choke and other help please.
Hello I could use a bit of help in a few different areas.
I used to own an 82 XJ650 and it always ran well so that's about as far as experience goes.
I used to drive a tow truck and some kid got drunk and laid over this 650 v star.
It's rough but I didn't see any reason why I couldn't fix it. When it came up for auction I bought it.

The exhaust while there is one is far from factory and in shambles.
The breather box needs to be replaced as it will no longer mount.
The issue I'm having right now is I can not find a choke on this bike.
Unless it's not your typical pull out push in choke it's not on the bike.
Can someone please tell me what would happen if say the choke broke off or was removed? How would it run? Like the chokes open or closed or catastrophically lol.

The bike runs. When I first got it the bike only ran when you gave it throttle and backfired constantly.
I took the carbs off and cleaned them and ran it with seafood in the fuel.
It now idles but still has a consistent backfire when letting off the throttle. I rode it down the block and back and it feels like it has hardly any power.
As far as vacuum lines go I think they are all out of whack. I can't find a vacuum hose diagram anywhere though.
Sorry if some of this sounds like silly questions but this is my first vehicle with carbs and the service Manual says I should have a traditional choke on the left side next to the seat.
So any help on my M.I.A. choke would be awesome as well as if anyone has a repair Manual PDF and/or a routing diagram for vacuum lines I would much appreciate the help and all other advice.
I would honestly like to see that it can well before I she'll out the money on the exhaust and breather as well as a few other things like a speedo cable that it also is missing.
I was laid off and don't want to spend money pointlessly but I could sure use a vehicle.

I suppose I should learn to synchronize the carbs and do that.
Found a someone decent yamaha manual but it's dated 97 and I still can't find a simple diagram for vacuum lines.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible choke issue TurboMatt 6 1,913 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Linden