Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
04-08-2017, 10:19 PM,
How do I test if my fuel pump is working?
Warning - I know nothing about repairing motorcycles so I apologize if any of this question is painfully obvious.

I have a 1999 VStar that will turn over but not start. I believe it is getting spark because when I spray carb cleaner into the carb while cranking it fires up. Because of this I am thinking it is a fuel problem.

What would be a good way to determine if my fuel pump is working? If I disconnect the fuel line from the tank, place my thumb over the opening on the hose and crank should I feel a sucking in pressure? If not - suggestions on how to test why fuel isn't getting from my tank to my carb?
05-06-2017, 05:24 AM,
RE: How do I test if my fuel pump is working?
Loosen the fuel drain screw in the carburetor. Turn the ignition on (do not start the engine), the fuel pump should now pump more fuel to the carbs. You should also hear the pump running for a while. It's not the ticking sound that comes from the solenoids in the carbs but the other one. Check the fuel filter, it's under the seat and a plastic cover. Also check all fuses. The problem can be the float valve(s) having gunk blocking the fuel.

You could also have an opposite issue with the float valves. If there's gunk they don't close and the carbs get too much fuel (been there).
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vstar 1300, motor working on 1 cylinder yokokily 2 805 09-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: yokokily
  Fuel coming out of the exhaust.... lukerasta 2 621 06-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Last Post: pauli466