Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 06:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM by Matt.)
Worst V Star modifications
I thought this would be an interesting discussion to start. What would you say, and you can pick your worst 3, (but please rank them) modifications to your V Star have been. Anything is fair game. Windshields, exhausts, air filters, seats, anything. So, let's have it. Please list your reason and why. Also, please check out the Best V Star modifications thread here.

Why? Nobody likes to waste money on a modification and have it be bad

A good example of a post:

1) Cobra Exhaust: too loud, too expensive, doesn't fit right, rusted.
2)
3)

Thanks!

p.s. You won't get in any trouble if you list more than 3. We just figured 3 is a good start, but keep 'em coming if you got em!
10-08-2012, 05:26 AM,
RE: Worst V Star modifications
1. not putting a clear coat over the paint job i did.... the tank is covered in scratches and gas blemishes.

2. cut off the helmet lock.... now i have to carry my helmet everwhere and girls look at me... oh wait...giggidy

3. the first two are my only bad things lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM,
Installing pods, even after rejetting several times never could get the cut out at 4000. rpm under heavy acceleration. the slight gain was not worth the effort, 2nd would be a pirrelli set of tires on it, rear started cupping around 5000 miles and front was exremely noisy from the day I put it on.
10-15-2012, 09:07 AM,
Hey art can you explain the "never get the cut out at 4000 rpm"? Im curious as to what you mean. Did you use mikuni brand jets?
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-15-2012, 09:51 AM,
Yep, ordered the jets from yamaha direct, Seemed to have a flutter on hard acceleration right around 4000 to 4200 on my tach, cruising in 5th it never did it, but if I dropped a gear to pass it was there. put the stock airbox back on it and jettingt we set for the cobra exhaust with the yamaha performance speedstar breather and it was gone, gave up, the slight gain in performance over the initial setting wasnt worth the effort. Switched to the stratoliner, no need to downshift now. Loved the v star for arkansas backroad excursions, absolutly hated it on highway trips. why they didnt give this bike another gear or at least taller ones eluded me. My only complaint on the bike, awesome handling bike outstanding brakes great motor, confused gearbox
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM,
@art5 Can you explain more regarding the "confused gearbox" ? Thanks.
10-15-2012, 03:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM by Mr RCOM.)
Ah ok. See i was thinking like the carb shutoff solenoid was working then. Cool on the strat. Im pretty much always giving my shifter peg a little nudge only to be like... oh yeah no more gears.

But then these are high revings bikes so i guess its ok but still. Ya know
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-15-2012, 11:54 PM,
1) cheap LED lights - they took ages to wire and install and were ugly during daylight hours
2) more expensive LED lights - they come loose (they are stuck on with contact), they have stopped working and I can't figure out why and now I have to take the tank etc,etc. off to fix them

its a pain because I do like them, so fix em and keep em or just remove them, no more problem......
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM,
i hear that Jmck. It sucks that all the cool looking lights are all generic and from what ive read from pretty much everywhere is that theyre a huge pain when wiring. Thats why i just said forget it.

If you came up with a how to with that parts you need and which wires go with what... im sure ppl would totally love that.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-16-2012, 12:55 AM,
yeah I used Florida Joes LEDs, I can't really blame them, as it must be a loose connection, I doubt the controller has packed up. it took me ages to do the wiring, the instructions were ok it is just fiddly. you have to think about the best way and place to make the connections otherwise servicing / taking the tank of can be a pain in the ass
it's just annoying because they worked great for about a year.
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
12-21-2012, 01:35 PM,
For me, I would say my worst are:
1) Aluminum grips. They look good but the set screws for the left grip stripped out and I almost launched a spiked torpedo from my VStar. I have since used epoxy under it and it's not going to come off any time soon.
2) LED Stripe lights- It's not so much the lights, but more the switch. I guess I'm to blame for that one. I pieced together my light kit and used a standard switch in the speedo console. However, I've had to replace it several times due to rain causing corrosion on the inside. I'm planning on adding a marine grade switch to see if that will help.
3) Mini Bullet signals on the rear of the bike- The lights work and look great but there is one small problem with their design. To replace the bulb you have to remove a screw that holds on the lense. No problem, right? Well, with the lights installed on the bike, the screw faces the fender, leaving no room to get a screwdriver in to remove the lense. Therefore, everytime you have to replace a bulb, the fender strut has to be loosened and pulled away from the fender to have enough room to get at the screw.
12-21-2012, 09:23 PM,
Yo dude. You should consider maybe putting your light switch in the neck. When I removed the control boxes from the bar I put the hi/low beam switch in the plastic neck cover. Its hidden from normal view but can easily be actuated and water hasnt been an issue
LoLrcycle rider Cool
12-22-2012, 02:49 AM,
(12-21-2012, 09:23 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Yo dude. You should consider maybe putting your light switch in the neck. When I removed the control boxes from the bar I put the hi/low beam switch in the plastic neck cover. Its hidden from normal view but can easily be actuated and water hasnt been an issue

I just may do that if the marine grade switch doesn't do the trick. I have a hole in the console just below the speedo that I would have to fill, or replace the console.
I was looking at a switch on Ebay that was under 10.00. I thought it would make a nice funny addition to the bike. It's a boat switch for windshield wipers. I can just imagine the questions I would get when people see a wiper switch on a motorcycle.Biggrin
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM by Mr RCOM.)
Haha! I've seen radio shack had switches with rubber over the toggle/rocker and for the back you could just cover the terminals with silicone or something

You should post a pic of the set up. Where did you run the wires out from the console?
LoLrcycle rider Cool
12-22-2012, 09:40 PM,
(12-22-2012, 04:01 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Haha! I've seen radio shack had switches with rubber over the toggle/rocker and for the back you could just cover the terminals with silicone or something

You should post a pic of the set up. Where did you run the wires out from the console?

I just let the wires follow the speedo cable down through the tank under the console, tied into one strand there, and added a short piece of wire for another strand under the rear fender. Currently, I've pulled the switch off, and just have an ugly hole with two wires sticking up. I can just twist them together to get the lights on, but it's not that aesthetically pleasing to look at. Here is a pic of the location for the switch.( when I had the switch) It's not the best picture though. I have a write up on the blog about the lights but didn't add a pic of how I ran the wires. I may just go back and add that in since I have to replace the switch anyway. Besides, I have to keep zero67 in business copying postsBiggrin

[Image: 405095201.jpg]
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best V Star modifications Matt 91 42,279 04-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Last Post: OldePhart
  My Vstar's winter customizations/modifications Maustarman 10 4,377 06-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Last Post: bevo1981