Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-24-2012, 03:39 PM,
When to call it a year
Our mornings here in the northeast are getting frostly in the low thirties so now I have to watch for road frost and since my communte is am/pm, it looks like it might be time to put the bike up for winter. I was wondering what other riders use as their gauge to 'call it a year.'
10-24-2012, 06:38 PM,
RE: When to call it a year
The only time I stop riding is when there is snow on the ground but I don't drive a car so don't have much choice. If you wrap up warm you can get some great days out even in the depths of winter.
10-24-2012, 06:39 PM,
Good question with alot of answers.i don't ride at 35 decrees and lower.mostly cause roads get slick.around here weather changes crazy stuff everyday (Ohio).but when it starts to stay at 40 for the high everyday its time.usually Dec.Jan.Feb.
live life full throttle....2008 vstar custom.
10-24-2012, 07:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM by Matt.)
Whenever you believe your safety is in jeopardy or you are not comfortable in riding. Now, if you're comfortable in riding in snow storms, well, that's another subject. But right now if you're feeling it is unsafe to ride in the morning to do the frost, put the bike up. Nobody will think less of you, and if they do, it's on them and not you, and we don't attract those members here, nor do we want them. You can get some good afternoon riding in, but don't risk it. I've seen too many people "be a man" and then a situation comes about to where no matter how good of a rider they are it doesn't matter.

A story illustrates this: I had a friend many years ago that rode when he shouldn't have been riding. It was cold and there was frost on the road. He was fine...until a car pulled out in front of him. He had to lay down the bike. He was absolutely positively fine--not a scratch on him, because he had all his gear on. The humorous side is he's always had this big bump on his forehead, and when he took off his helmet the lady asked him...OH MY, DID WE CAUSE THE BUMP!? Then, everyone at the college he went to heard about his wreck and asked him if the bump came from the wreck. He'd always had it, but now people noticed it because they were "looking for something." So, if nothing else, don't have people asking you what happened. Biggrin
10-24-2012, 11:25 PM,
I agree with Matt. I also believe this:

1) You should never not be "a little nervous" when riding. You want to be alert. Perhaps nervous is not the right word, but you don't want to be getting on your bike and zoning out. I see way to many people who just on it and ride like they are driving a car. I believe this to be a mistake.

2) At the same time, you want confidence and not to be scared. Every time I get on my bike I take a deep breathe, remind myself that there are a lot of idiots and other dangerous out there, clear my mind, and then get into "riding mode" to where I go super cautious and into "worst case scenario mode" when riding.

I think if you're the least bit uncomfortable riding, I would put it up...especially if it is due to traction issues. It's one thing to ride and be a little chilly for 2-5 minutes. It's another to not have grip.
10-25-2012, 01:32 AM,
All good info guys. Im pretty much in the same boat.... ride till its 40° f. But doesnt it suck when it seems like itll stay cold and then out of nowhere there are a few really warm/nice days and you gotta decide on lugging out everything or letting it be.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM,
"I will quit riding when they pull my cold, frostbitten hands from the bars"
Seriously, if you are anxious about anything, cold, frost, rain, snow, do not ride. As Matt said above, wait til afternoon or a good weekend comes along. I do not winterize my bike because I will ride in cold weather.
Plus not really winterizing bike if maintained properly seems to be better for bike in long run. I actually will start my bike, and jack up rear and run it for 20 minutes or so once a week throughout the winter. Probably overkill in somes opinions, but my other bike is 41 years old and still looks and runs like new. Norton Super Commando which I gave to my son.
I will not ride with ice, frost, light rain. If road conditions warrant it I ride. Learned how to dress in layers properly in service.
I am more afraid of other drivers and pedestrians than riding in cold.
Ancient advice from and ancient one. If it bothers you, do not do it.
2012 1300 T Highway Bars, Passing Lights, Passenger Floor Boards, K&N Filter, LED Brake light module, Power Point, Ram Mount GPS, Mustang Vintage Seats, Luggage Rack, Bucks Lowers, Screaming Banshee Horn, LED Fogs, Volt Gauge, Saddle Bag Guards, Radiator Cover, Boss Bags trunk, Kurykin Longhorn pegs
10-25-2012, 10:43 AM,
Good replies everyone!! The cold doesn't bother me as this is Maine and I also snowmobile. Biggest problem like you all say is other drivers adjusting their driving on ice, plus up here they like to run salt and calcium chloride for what we call black ice in the morning and this stuff will eat the metal from right out from under you. I like to belly ache as I love the gas mileage and just hate to finally throw in the towel for a couple of months! Riding in snow sounds crazy you guys are diehards!!!=)
10-25-2012, 07:33 PM,
In addition to my last reply and it may need a different post but today.

I was out on some country roads and the vast majority of them were covered in mud from farm machinery as it is ploughing and harvesting season. You need to ride to the conditions the surface of the roads was very slippery and then add to that you had to ride round large clods of earth, it is also the beginning of autumn (fall) and the emulsion of mashed up leaves is like oil on the road. So its not only the cold weather that you have to watch out for. Ride safe and ride often, but ride to the conditions.
10-25-2012, 11:15 PM,
Good point Ken. Yeah, I rode around some mud today out on a country road. I don't like riding when it gets that cold...I have a car for that...haha. So, I'd take it easy and if you don't feel comfortable for any reason, just put her up for the winter. Now, that being said, I let me bike run every week in the winter to keep it from sitting too long. And as long as the roads aren't slick I will ride it around the neighborhood just to keep everything "working" if you know what I mean.
10-29-2012, 03:05 AM,
never. i ride year round. my cutoff is temp in the 30s though i have ridden in 35 degrees. for Austin, TX, that's equivalent to about 20 below for you people in the north.
Ride to work. Work to ride.
i make motorcycle videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/whitedevil2/videos
11-14-2012, 03:50 AM,
Re: When to call it a year
Also being from the northeast myself, I can understand. I actually (against my stubborn will to ride) just parked it a few days ago on account of the rediculous weather. But generally, if it's above 35 or 40, I'll ride given the chance.

Sent from my Precedent using Tapatalk
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  650 model year changes Narcisist83 0 316 07-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Narcisist83
  FUJITV software New Year 2018 Giveaway and Biggest Discount! Alicemiki 0 510 01-04-2018, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Alicemiki
  What body parts are interchangable from year to year or model to model? rsmith31744 2 1,951 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Last Post: pauli466
  Year compatibility question SARR 0 1,063 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SARR
  What's going in with my luck this year! Maustarman 11 3,888 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: commonground