Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-26-2012, 08:28 PM,
2002 V Star 650 Not Running Right
Hey guys, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for a long post, but I've tried looking for a solution to my problem without making a post on here and I'm about fed up with it. Anyways, I bought a 2002 v star 650 with right at 12,000 miles on it four weeks ago. This is my first bike and I've put nearly 200 miles on it but it recently (40 or so miles ago) started acting up. I was riding one day and it started to lose power big time and since it was low on fuel I figured that was it. I switched over to the reserve tank and made it to a gas station, which was also where I was working that day. When I got off work I rode to a friends house without a problem, probably about a mile. I went to leave that night and got caught up talking after I started my bike so it idled for a little less than an hour before I left. On my way home the bike did fine for a couple minutes but then started acting up again (backfiring and loss of power). Since it was 2am by this point and I didn't live far I just limped it home. The next day it idled very rough and when I would go to rev it up it would bog down, backfire, and let clouds of black smoke go. I checked the plugs and they were black as soot. I cleaned them off to test them and they sparked through the ceramic insulator so I bought new plugs. Put them in and it ran great again. Then after another 30 miles spread out over a couple days it got worse. The brand new plugs were fowled the same as the first ones had been. I bought a third set of plugs and some Sea Foam. I poured half the can in, shook the bike a little, started it up. It was letting a barely noticeable amount of black smoke out of both pipes, which I thought may have been because of the Sea Foam. I let it run for a couple minutes and took the plugs back out, they were already starting to turn black. I came in and started trying to find what could be wrong, haven't touched the bike since. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I need to look for? I know it's running rich but I don't know why and I don't know a lot about carbureted engine yet. Does it sound like the carbs aren't adjusted right or I need different jets? I'm not sure but I think the exhaust is aftermarket.

Thanks in advance, Kirkman
10-26-2012, 08:40 PM,
RE: 2002 V Star 650 Not Running Right
First off make sure you are using the correct plugs.if they are black you are running rich and may need to rejet .
live life full throttle....2008 vstar custom.
10-26-2012, 08:45 PM,
Hi, and welcome. We'll get it figured out.

Let's analyze things and I'm sure some other good members can chime in.

It definitely sounds like you're running rich. An aftermarket exhaust, would not cause this, if anything, it could cause it to run a bit lean since it would be breathing easier.

Are your carbs/jets stock?
Any other modifications?
Stock air filter?
Stock plug wires?

Let us know everything you can think of.

Also, check this thread out. http://www.vstarforum.com/pms-adjustment...ght=adjust

Be careful and document whatever you do, we're here to help.
10-26-2012, 09:30 PM,
I know the plugs that were in it when I got it were NGK DPR6EA. So the first set of new ones I bought were the same thing. After those fowled so fast I looked up what was recommended for my bike, which was NGK DPR7EA-9. That's what I bought for the third set.

As for the carb, jets, intake, air filter, etc... I have no idea if stuff is stock or not.
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM,
Re: 2002 V Star 650 Not Running Right
I'd bet a sizeable amount of money, that somewhere in its life, someone added jets that are to large for your use.

What's happening is ( and as other said) your running rich, now the main clues is black smoke and carbon fouled plugs.

So here's the skinny, your jets are to large either letting on to much fuel or not enough air, making it impossible for your floats to seal. When that happens gas runs freely through your engine * carbon fouled plugs* and when she runs through your exhaust she burns * creating black smoke*

This also FULLY explains your bog, loss of power the whole she-bang!

If your handy re-jet with PROPER jets, if not get a mechanic to do just that!

Let me know how she goes, hope to hear your on the road soon!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
10-26-2012, 11:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM by jmck.)
A new air cleaner element might not go astray. Running rich is not always to much fuel it can be too little air, I'd start there cause its' cheaper & easier than re-jetting. Also because it ran fine for the first 150m Just a thought. And welcome to the forum, when your running again we want to see pics of your ride

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Jmck
Two wheels moves me body and soul Cool
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM,
Is there any way to tell for sure if it's the jets that need to be changed? If so how do I know what jets I need to get?

Is there any particular air cleaning element you would recommend? Just so I know I'm looking at the right stuff.

I'll get some pictures on here the first chance I get.
10-27-2012, 01:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM by jmck.)
Not sure about the jets, but if you post a pic of the right side of the bike we will be able to work out what type it is. If it's a k&n foam filter you can clean it with a foam filter cleaner kit

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Jmck
10-27-2012, 02:46 AM,
I assume you have checked that you are not causing a vacuum on the fuel tank? its the easy thing that get overlooked.
10-27-2012, 10:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM by Linden.)
No i agree its not always too much fuel thats why i also said too much fuel or not enough air, and i hope i am wrong, but 90% of the time someone has used the word black smoke and carbon fouled plugs in the same sentence its going to be right there in the carb.

And heck it may not be the Jets aren't right, maybe the floats are doing their job anymore but its going to be in that carb

[Image: 100_0140.jpg]

Thats going to be the right side of his bike STOCK so we can compare any major changes

But we also really want to see your bike just to aww at its beauty!

Wait work with me here!

You said you idled for right under an hour, now when you pulled the clutch and dropped her into first did she want to "jump" off the line a little bit or did she sit pretty like always????
10-27-2012, 11:17 AM,
How would I check to see if it is causing a vacuum in the tank? Just let it idle without the cap on?

And here is a picture of the bike the day I got it. I haven't changed anything but the plugs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

10-27-2012, 08:45 PM,
@Linden may be right, but I just thought, start with the easy stuff. that looks like the stock air cleaner so I think it is a paper element, can anyone confirm? if so they are cheap from your dealer,(what else can other tell @Kirkman about is bike).
Not sure what Ken- is getting at I would think that a vacuum in the tank would cause fuel starvation.
I worry if idling for an hour, may have overheated your engine, though i don't think that's your issue, but I would not do that again, the motor need airflow to keep cool.

If someone can confirm the air filter, you can try that, then if need be move on to the carbs if necessary
Jmck
10-27-2012, 09:01 PM,
Ya know @jmck your right I remeber my first couple days here, someone saved me 500$ by giving me a 3$ fix because I started from cheapest.
10-27-2012, 09:03 PM,
@Linden is that a stock air cleaner with a paper element?
Jmck
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2012, 09:16 PM by Linden.)
@jmck its the stock, its sprayed with the high heat enamel I used on the exhaust, plan is the drimmel out the inner section, hose up a cold air intake coming from within, with some blue LED wrapping the ring. ( I love blue)

But that project got put on hold until I clean the smoking pipes game
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bike Running rough Twospeed 0 525 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Twospeed
  2002 650 Classic questions/mods Lug Nut 1 878 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Lug Nut
  Buying a 2002 Yamaha VSTAR 650 ?? DKL 1 2,092 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  2006 650 engine into 2002 650 frame Gary Wong 4 2,265 05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Keith
  Daytime running light conversion Gibbo 4 2,446 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM